Warm up your wallets. Or maybe your smartphone, for super easy digital banking.
The month of May brings summer into full view and is capped off with Memorial Day—a weekend retailers like to put their good deals into orbit.
Despite inflation, high gas prices, and supply chain issues, there are smart buys for consumers this month. The best time to snag that couch you’ve been eyeing, or the washer-dryer combo of your dreams, is right now.
Below are a few examples of what to grab this minute and items that can wait.
What to buy
- Furniture. The best pricing on sofas, dinette sets, and more often will start the week before Memorial Day, so shop early for the best selection.
- Major home appliances. If your fridge is on the fritz or your oven is over the hill, this is a fine time to give those big items an update. You’re also certain to find a great deal on small home appliances like your coffee maker or blender.
- Mattresses and bedding. Getting a good night’s sleep comes at a discounted rate this month. Be sure to check out major retailers, as well as online sources, for best pricing. You’ll also pay less for stylish and comfy bedding this month.
What to skip
- Outdoor furniture. With the shift to warmer weather, this may be a tempting purchase, but spring actually isn’t the best time to get the goods to make your patio pretty. Experts say Labor Day weekend is when you’ll see the best bargains. This also stands true for grills—wait until the end of the season, around Labor Day, to find the steals.
- Home electronics. Looking for deals on laptops, gaming consoles, or tablets? Black Friday sales events in November provide the lowest prices. You may also find decent discounts during the back-to-school shopping season.
- Summer apparel. It’s just too early to find the best prices on tank tops and flip-flops. You’re better off waiting until the Fourth of July weekend, or even August, if you want the best bargains.
End-of-season sales are called that for a reason. While needs will always arise, try to let your wants wait for the right time. There is a best, or least expensive, time to buy just about anything. But keep in mind, retailers typically offer the big discounts when their inventory is running low, so don’t let those deals pass you by.