Black Friday and Cyber Monday are in the rearview mirror. But fear not, those events didn’t completely corner the bargains market.
There are still deals to be had before the year runs out—especially right after Christmas. Look hard enough and you’ll find great deals on things like gift cards, holiday decorations, and electronics. Here’s what to buy and what to skip in December.
What to Buy
- Electronics. Not for want of trying, but consumers can’t scoop up all the electronics in November. Many retailers will keep the leftovers from those sales marked down through the end of the year. Look for discounted electronics at big-box stores, online retailers, and directly from manufacturers.
- Toys. Retailers are looking to clear the season’s toy inventory before the holidays. So, if you can handle the stress of last-minute shopping, the week or two leading up to Christmas can be the perfect time to pick up some budget-friendly toys.
- Christmas decorations. Starting the day after Christmas, you can find discounted holiday decor, wrapping paper, tree ornaments, and more. By grabbing those items well in advance, you’ll have a good jump on future holidays at a fraction of the cost.
- Gift cards. Gift cards are a great option for those impossible-to-shop-for people in your life, and all through December, you can find discounted gift cards on sites like GiftCardGranny and CardCash, as well as through private sellers on the internet.
What to Skip
- Winter clothing. Yes, it’s really starting to get cold out there, but try to hold off on upgrading your winter wardrobe. In fact, if you can get through one more winter, you’ll be best waiting until spring to find the best deals.
- Fitness equipment. If getting back into shape is one of your New Year’s resolutions, you might as well add “buy fitness equipment” to your list. Fitness gear and clothing, as well as gym memberships, will drop in price after the calendar turns to January.
- Furniture and bedding. If you wait for the January white sales—or better yet, Presidents Day sale events—you can find some sweet deals on furniture and bedding.
- Cruises. The closer you get to the holidays, the more it costs to book a cruise. If you want to travel by floating hotel to someplace warm over the winter, wait until January to book the trip.