$2,500 scholarships awarded to 19 students; Richard Metzler Opportunity Scholarship winner receives $5,000; virtual ceremony to be held via @selcoccu Instagram Stories on Friday, May 14 at 2 p.m.
(EUGENE, Ore.) — SELCO Community Credit Union celebrated the 31st year of its annual scholarship program by awarding $52,500 in college scholarships to 20 graduating high school seniors throughout Oregon. Each scholarship recipient will receive $2,500 to use toward college-related expenses, while the inaugural Richard Metzler Opportunity Scholarship recipient will receive $5,000.
To celebrate the 2021 scholarship recipients, SELCO is hosting a virtual ceremony via Instagram Stories (@selcoccu) on Friday, May 14 at 2 p.m. The ceremony will also be saved to SELCO’s Instagram Story Highlights.
SELCO started its scholarship program in 1991 as an important component to its mission to help members reach their financial and educational goals. In the past five years alone, SELCO has awarded nearly $215,000 in scholarships through this program.
“This has been a challenging year for students in Oregon and elsewhere, to say the least. We’re grateful to be able to provide these 20 deserving recipients with a head start toward realizing their educational and career goals,” said Craig Carpenter, SELCO’s Senior Vice President of Lending & Business Solutions.
SELCO’s Scholarship Committee chose the recipients from a pool of applicants representing all 27 Oregon counties that SELCO serves. To qualify, recipients had to be graduating from a four-year accredited high school in Oregon, have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5, and plan to attend an accredited two- or four-year college or university.
As part of the application, scholarship hopefuls were asked to submit an essay that answers the question: “If you could uninvent one invention, what would it be and why?”
The 2021 SELCO Scholarship recipients are:
$5,000 Richard Metzler Opportunity Scholarship
• Rattapat Thongthaengthai - Springfield High School, Springfield
$2,500 SELCO Scholarships
• Brad Alexander - Ridgeview High School, Redmond
• Derek Anderson - Elmira High School, Elmira
• Morgan Berg - Mountain View High School, Bend
• Elizabeth Black - South Eugene High School, Eugene
• Griffin Brand - South Eugene High School, Eugene
• Catherine Codding - South Eugene High School, Eugene
• Brooke Donner - West Albany High School, Albany
• Lucas Forshee - Waldport High School, Waldport
• Bryson Forsman - Elmira High School, Elmira
• Scout Gesuale - Bend Senior High School, Bend
• Holden Greenfield - Mountain View High School, Bend
• Courtney Haffner - Elmira High School, Elmira
• Megan Lawver - Baker Early Charter, Eugene
• Adelaide Liebhardt - Winston Churchill High School, Eugene
• William Nyman - Summit High School, Bend
• Lucy Plahn - Lowell High School, Fall Creek
• Baird Quinn - South Eugene High School, Eugene
• Ethan Sloan - South Eugene High School, Eugene
• Tanner Windom - Thurston Senior High School, Springfield
For a complete list of the 2021 SELCO Scholarship recipients, including photos, visit selco.org/scholarship-recipients-2021.
About SELCO Community Credit Union:
Founded over 80 years ago by a group of fiscally minded teachers, Eugene-based SELCO Community Credit Union today serves more than 142,000 members as one of the largest and longstanding Oregon-based credit unions. A not-for-profit, federally insured, member-driven financial cooperative with more than $2 billion in assets, SELCO provides its member-owners with exceptional rates and low fees on a full range of financial products and services, including banking, mortgages, personal and business loans, investments, and insurance. Membership is available to anyone who lives or works in one of the 27 Oregon counties SELCO serves. For more information or to become a member today, stop by one of SELCO’s 14 branches, visit selco.org, or call 800-445-4483.
ContactsJacob Berns, SELCO, 541-338-3841, email@example.com
Justin Yax, DVA Advertising & PR, 541-610-8443, firstname.lastname@example.org