February 21, 2018—SELCO Community Credit Union Awards $33,000 in College Scholarships to 22 High School Seniors Throughout Oregon
(EUGENE, Ore.) — SELCO Community Credit Union has awarded $33,000 in college scholarships to 22 graduating high school seniors throughout Oregon. The scholarships — each totaling $1,500 — provide assistance for college-related expenses and help fulfill SELCO’s mission to aid member-owners in achieving their goals.
Scholarship recipients were chosen from applicants from all 26 Oregon counties that SELCO serves. Winners were selected based on criteria that include both academic performance and community involvement.
“As is the case every year, we were once again heartened to review the accomplishments of such an impressive group of young Oregon students,” said Laura Illig, SELCO’s Vice President of Marketing. “From its founding more than 80 years ago by a group of teachers and school employees, SELCO has made supporting education a key tenet of its mission to help members and their families achieve their goals. These scholarships are a step in helping these deserving students reach their dreams.”
To qualify, recipients must be graduating from a four-year accredited high school in Oregon, have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5, and plan to attend a two- or four-year college or university. Applicants were asked to submit letters of recommendation as well as a personal essay on what their personal Wikipedia entry will say in the year 2050.
The recipients are:
• Kyle Anderson - Gladstone High School, Gladstone
• Kian Behmard - West Salem High School, Salem
• Alex Cozine - Redmond High School, Prineville
• Faryn Dahlen - Cottage Grove High School, Cottage Grove
• Allison Dominguez - South Eugene High School, Eugene
• Catylynn Duff - Culver High School, Culver
• Taiton Fox - Mountain View High School, Bend
• Carter Helikson - Sheldon High School, Eugene
• Madison Holsey - Central Christian School, Redmond
• Cameron Johnson - Sheldon High School, Eugene
• Alexandra Kittrell - Willamette High School, Eugene
• Emma Knepp - Culver High School, Culver
• Nicole Lang - Harrisburg High School, Harrisburg
• Anna Laptova - South Eugene High School, Eugene
• Paul Lim - Santiam Christian School, Corvallis
• Jackson Perkins - Cottage Grove High School, Cottage Grove
• Lily Remlinger - Central Christian School, Redmond
• Kate Shultz - St. Mary's Academy, Hubbard
• Alyssa Snyder – Marist Catholic High School, Eugene
• Kira Ward - Sheldon High School, Eugene
• Savannah Wease - South Eugene High School, Eugene
• Alessandra Weiss - Academy of Arts and Academics, Springfield
For a complete list of the 2017-18 SELCO Scholarship recipients, including photos, visit www.selco.org/Scholarship-Winners-2018
About SELCO Community Credit Union Founded more than 80 years ago by a group of fiscally minded teachers, Eugene-based SELCO Community Credit Union now serves more than 133,000 members as the third largest Oregon-based credit union. A not-for-profit, federally insured, member-driven financial cooperative with more than $1.5 billion in assets, SELCO is able to provide its member-owners with exceptional rates and low fees on a full range of financial products and services, including banking, mortgages, personal and business loans, investments, and insurance. Membership is open to anyone who lives or works in the 26 Oregon counties SELCO serves. For more information, or to become a member today, stop by one of SELCO’s 16 branches, call 800-445-4483, or visit selco.org.
Colleen Thompson, SELCO, 541-686-5395, email@example.com
Zack Hall, DVA Advertising & PR, 541-389-2411, firstname.lastname@example.org